Introduction to Power BI
13th March 2017 - 15th March 2017
Who is it for?
A three-day course aimed at anyone who is interested in building reports and dashboards in Power BI, including BI developers, existing Power Pivot users, analysts and report writers.
What you will learn
This course will cover building reports and dashboards in Power BI Desktop, Excel 2013/2016 and in the browser at PowerBI.com.
The agenda is:
- What is Power BI? A high-level description of the service and how you use it
- Loading data: connecting to data sources using the Query Editor
- Loading data: using the built-in transformations
- Loading data: advanced topics including the M language, privacy levels, parameters and functions
- Modelling data: tables and relationships
- Modelling data: introduction to DAX
- Modelling data: DAX row context and filter context, and the Calculate() function
- Modelling data: implementing common calculations in DAX, including date calculations
- Building reports and dashboards in Power BI Desktop and Power BI.com
- Building reports in Excel 2013/2016 using PivotTables and cube formulas
- Sharing, collaboration, content packs and security
- Configuring and scheduling refresh of data
- Getting the best results from Q&A
- Administration and auditing
The course will include several hands-on labs.Attendees should bring along a laptop with Power BI Desktop and Excel 2013 or 2016 installed and should also have a Power BI subscription.
The goal of the course is to teach you how to load data from multiple data sources, clean it and model it appropriately, and create simple DAX calculations, so you can build the reports and dashboards you need in Power BI.Cost: £949 until December 31 2016, £1049 after that +VAT
Chris Webb is the owner of Crossjoin Consulting, and is a consultant specialising in Analysis Services, MDX, PowerPivot and DAX. He is a co-author of "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services: The BISM Tabular Model", "Expert Cube Development with SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services", and "MDX Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase", and blogs at http://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/
Aldersgate House, 135-137 Aldersgate Street, EC1A 4JA
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, either via email or by post. Registrants whose cancellations are received at least 2 weeks before the beginning of the course are entitled to a full refund minus a £80 processing fee plus any credit card charges incurred. No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel less than 2 weeks before the beginning of the course or who fail to attend.
In the extraordinary case where the course is cancelled a full refund will be given to all paid registrants. Crossjoin Consulting will not refund any other amount paid by registrants to other companies, including travel expenses and hotel reservations.
Chris Webb's Introduction to MDX course was well-run, informative and good value. It gave me a good understanding of the key principles and ideas and how to apply them to real world situations. It was great environment to learn in, with Chris giving excellent practical exercises and having the depth of knowledge to answer to any group questions.