Introduction to MDX
13th October 2014 - 15th October 2014
Who is it for?
This course designed for BI professionals with some experience of SQL Server Analysis Services cubes, but little or no experience of MDX, will teach the fundamentals of the MDX query language and show how to implement common queries and calculations.
What you will learn
The course agenda is as follows:
- What is MDX and why should I use it?
- Understanding the structure of a cube: recognizing cubes, measure groups, dimensions and hierarchies
- Understanding the concepts of members, tuples and sets
- Writing simple queries: using SQL Management studio to write SELECT statements
- Creating simple calculated members: when to use query, session and cube-scoped calculations, using simple MDX expressions and functions
- Standard Calculations: looking at the best ways to implement common calculations, such as time series, market shares and rankings
- Using set functions: using common MDX functions such as Crossjoin, Filter, Order, Generate to create more complex queries
- Advanced concepts: autoexists, solve order and subselects
- MDX Script Assignments: making scoped assignments, understanding how assignments affect aggregation, using assignments with calculated members
- MDX for Reporting Services
- Performance Tuning and Troubleshooting: using Profiler, building aggregations, functions to avoid
This course will enable you to write your own MDX queries for reports (for example in SQL Server Reporting Services), and add value to your existing cube by creating new MDX calculations on it.Cost: £749 (to July 31 2014), £799 (from August 1 2014) +VAT
Chris Webb is the owner of Crossjoin Consulting, and is a consultant specialising in Analysis Services, MDX, PowerPivot and DAX. He is a co-author of "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services: The BISM Tabular Model", "Expert Cube Development with SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services", and "MDX Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase", and blogs at http://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/
116-120 Goswell Road
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, either via email or by post. Registrants whose cancellations are received at least 2 weeks before the beginning of the course are entitled to a full refund minus a £80 processing fee plus any credit card charges incurred. No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel less than 2 weeks before the beginning of the course or who fail to attend.
In the extraordinary case where the course is cancelled a full refund will be given to all paid registrants. Crossjoin Consulting will not refund any other amount paid by registrants to other companies, including travel expenses and hotel reservations.
Chris Webb's Introduction to MDX course was well-run, informative and good value. It gave me a good understanding of the key principles and ideas and how to apply them to real world situations. It was great environment to learn in, with Chris giving excellent practical exercises and having the depth of knowledge to answer to any group questions.