Introduction to Analysis Services 2012 Tabular
26th September 2013 - 27th September 2013
Who is it for?
This course is aimed at BI professionals who want to develop SQL Server Analysis Services 2012 Tabular models. No previous knowledge of Analysis Services is required.
What you will learn
The course outline, in detail, is as follows:
- SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services: understanding and comparing Tabular and Multidimensional models, and when to use which type of model
- Introducing the SQL Server Data Tools development environment
- SSAS Tabular basic concepts: tables, columns, relationships and measures
- Loading data into SSAS Tabular
- Basic DAX: creating simple calculated columns and measures
- Handling regular and parent/child hierarchies
- Intermediate DAX: aggregating data with SUM(), SUMX() and other functions
- Advanced DAX: evaluation contexts and an introduction to the CALCULATE() function
- More Advanced DAX: using the CALCULATE() function in measures
- DAX Queries
- Configuring Tabular models for use with Power View
- Implementing security on a Tabular model, including dynamic security
- Writing time intelligence calculations in DAX
- Processing and partitioning
- Real-time BI with DirectQuery
This course will enable you to build your own SSAS 2012 Tabular models and create queries and calculations using DAX.
Chris Webb is the owner of Crossjoin Consulting, and is a consultant specialising in Analysis Services, MDX, PowerPivot and DAX. He is a co-author of "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services: The BISM Tabular Model", "Expert Cube Development with SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services", and "MDX Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase", and blogs at http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/
LocationLMG Training and Development
15 Risborough Street
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, either via email or by post. Registrants whose cancellations are received at least 1 week before the beginning of the course are entitled to a full refund minus a £25 processing fee. No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel less than 1 week before the beginning of the course or who fail to attend. Substitutions for paid registrants may be made at any time. However, written notice is required and for complete accuracy must include all pertinent changes for the substituting attendee.
In the extraordinary case where the course is cancelled a full refund will be given to all paid registrants. Crossjoin Consulting will not refund any other amount paid by registrants to other companies, including travel expenses and hotel reservations.
Chris Webb's Introduction to MDX course was well-run, informative and good value. It gave me a good understanding of the key principles and ideas and how to apply them to real world situations. It was great environment to learn in, with Chris giving excellent practical exercises and having the depth of knowledge to answer to any group questions.