Introduction to PowerPivot
5th June 2013 - 6th June 2013
Who is it for?
This course is aimed at business analysts and other professionals who use Excel 2010, and who want to learn to develop models in PowerPivot. Some previous knowledge of Excel is required but no previous knowledge of PowerPivot is necessary.
What you will learn
The course agenda is as follows:
- What is PowerPivot and why should I use it?
- Introducing the PowerPivot UI
- PowerPivot basic concepts: tables, columns, relationships and measures
- Loading data into PowerPivot
- Interacting with PowerPivot from Excel using PivotTables
- Basic DAX: creating simple calculated columns and measures
- Modelling data for PowerPivot
- Intermediate DAX: aggregating data with SUM(), SUMX() and other functions
- Advanced DAX: evaluation contexts and an introduction to the CALCULATE() function
- More Advanced DAX: using the CALCULATE() function in measures
- Mastering Excel: advanced PivotTables and other tools and techniques for analysing data in PowerPivot models
- Using the Excel cube functions to query PowerPivot models
- Writing time intelligence calculations in DAX
- Visualisation techniques for data in PowerPivot
- PowerPivot for Sharepoint, on-premises and in Office 365
This course will enable you to build your own PowerPivot models, create calculations using DAX and build a complete reporting solution using Excel 2010 and Sharepoint 2010.
Chris Webb is the owner of Crossjoin Consulting, and is a consultant specialising in Analysis Services, MDX, PowerPivot and DAX. He is a co-author of "Expert Cube Development with SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services", "MDX Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase" and "SQL Server Analysis Services 2012: The BISM Tabular Model" and blogs at http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/
Bob Phillips is an Excel MVP and a well-known figure in the UK Excel community.
LocationLMG Training and Development
15 Risborough Street
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, either via email or by post. Registrants whose cancellations are received at least 2 weeks before the beginning of the course are entitled to a full refund minus a £80 processing fee. No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel less than 1 week before the beginning of the course or who fail to attend. Substitutions for paid registrants may be made at any time. However, written notice is required and for complete accuracy must include all pertinent changes for the substituting attendee.
In the extraordinary case where the course is cancelled a full refund will be given to all paid registrants. Crossjoin Consulting will not refund any other amount paid by registrants to other companies, including travel expenses and hotel reservations.
Chris Webb's Introduction to MDX course was well-run, informative and good value. It gave me a good understanding of the key principles and ideas and how to apply them to real world situations. It was great environment to learn in, with Chris giving excellent practical exercises and having the depth of knowledge to answer to any group questions.